Take control and be informed
Having the right information will help you to feel in control when you have interstitial lung disease (ILD). Here are some questions you may want to ask your health-care provider to better understand how to live with ILD.
You can print or download these questions and take them to your next appointment.
Ask About Your ILD Diagnosis
- What type of ILD do I have?
- Can I get a second opinion to confirm my diagnosis?
- Will I need to have a lung biopsy?
- What caused my ILD? How severe is my disease?
- How will ILD affect my everyday life?
- Will my disease get worse?
- How will I know if it’s getting worse?
- Will I need oxygen?
- I need to monitor my ILD?
- How often will I have to go to the doctor?
Ask About Treatment and Support
- What can I do about my persistent cough?
- Where can I find a support group?
- Will pulmonary rehabilitation help?
- Are there medications for my ILD?
- Do the medications for my condition have side effects?
- Can I have a lung transplant?
- Do I need palliative care now? Will I need it in the future?
- Are there any clinical trials that I could participate in?
Ask About Oxygen Therapy
- Should I use my supplemental oxygen all the time or just sometimes?
- What oxygen flow rate should I use?
- Can I travel with my supplemental oxygen?
- Should I be checking my oxygen saturation levels at home?
Ask About How to Stay Healthy
- What should I do if I get a cold, the flu, or pneumonia?
- How will my doctor monitor my ILD?
- What health problems might arise with my condition?
- What should I do if my symptoms get worse suddenly?
Talk to your doctor about the treatments that might work for you. Knowing the cause of your condition will help you and your doctor decide on the best treatment plan and help you live with a better quality of life. Find out more about ILD treatments.
Treating these other conditions will help you manage ILD.
Help Your Provider Diagnose ILD
Prepare for your appointment with a list of questions your provider may ask.
Living with Interstitial Lung Disease Patient Education Guide
This 52-page guide explores every facet of ILD that you may encounter, from diagnosis and treatment to support and myths. With the most up-to-date information available, this guide will help you and your loved ones feel confident when making decisions about your diagnosis.